If you are on a school computer or network, ask your tech person to whitelist these URLs:
*.wistia.com, fast.wistia.com, fast.wistia.net, embedwistia-a.akamaihd.net
Sometimes a simple refresh solves this issue. If you need further help, contact us.
Timescale of Earth's Events Activity for Kids
- 2Large rubber bands
- 30Sugar cubes
- 1Use two large rubber bands to secure two textbooks together.
- 2Place four marbles in-between the two books.
- 3Make sure the marbles are close to the corners but will not fall out when shaking.
- 4On top of the books, build a sugar cube house that’s three cubes high and three cubes wide.
- 5Now push and pull on the top book to simulate an earthquake.
- 6Try building structures of different sizes and shapes to see which one is best.
How It Works
A shake table can help engineers build earthquake-proof buildings. Buildings that are tall will shake more than buildings that are close to the ground. With this in mind, engineers can use what they learned from using a shake table to change designs to keep buildings from falling down and hurting people during an earthquake.
Find More More Activities
Browse All Watch Full Lessons
no credit card required
Skip, I will use a 3 day free trial
Enjoy your free 30 days trial