If you are on a school computer or network, ask your tech person to whitelist these URLs:
*.wistia.com, fast.wistia.com, fast.wistia.net, embedwistia-a.akamaihd.net
Sometimes a simple refresh solves this issue. If you need further help, contact us.
Electric & Magnetic Fields Activity for Kids
- 1AA Battery
- 1Pack Neodymium Disc Magnets
- 1Copper Wire (about 20 cm)
- 1Stack the magnets on the negative side of the battery (flat side) and place it on the table.
- 2Bend the copper wire into a heart shape.
- 3Place the point of the heart on the positive end of the battery.
- 4Adjust it so that the ends of the wire lightly touch the magnets.
- 5Watch it spin!
- 6Once you get the hang of it try other shapes!
How It Works
The electric current from the battery flows through the wire, generating a magnetic field. The field from the magnets interacts with the magnetic field from the wire. This applies a force on the wire which causes it to move. Scientists call this design a homopolar motor.
Find More More Activities
Browse All Watch Full Lessons
no credit card required
Skip, I will use a 3 day free trial
Enjoy your free 30 days trial