If you are on a school computer or network, ask your tech person to whitelist these URLs:
*.wistia.com, fast.wistia.com, fast.wistia.net, embedwistia-a.akamaihd.net
Sometimes a simple refresh solves this issue. If you need further help, contact us.
Natural Disasters Activity for Kids
- 1Pair of scissors
- 5Rubber bands
- 1Paper strip
- 1Tape one side of the box closed.
- 2Cut a rectangular slit on both sides of the box along the bottom.
- 4Along the top, poke a hole in the 4 corners of the box.
- 5Tie 1 rubber band around each of these holes.
- 6Loop the 4 bands around a marker and use one more rubber band to secure it in place.
- 7Adjust the height of the marker so it just barely touches the bottom of the box.
- 8Feed the paper strip through the slot while shaking the box to simulate an earthquake.
How It Works
When an earthquake occurs, a seismograph records earthquake activity. Due to the shaking, a pattern on the sheet of paper is created. These patterns provide information about the details of an earthquake, such as how strong it was and how long it lasted.
Find More More Activities
Browse All Watch Full Lessons
no credit card required
Skip, I will use a 3 day free trial
Enjoy your free 30 days trial