Oops! It looks like your security settings are blocking this video 🙁
If you are on a school computer or network, ask your tech person to whitelist these URLs:
*.wistia.com, fast.wistia.com, fast.wistia.net, embedwistia-a.akamaihd.net
Sometimes a simple refresh solves this issue. If you need further help, contact us.
Competition in Ecosystems Activity for Kids
- 1Bag of potting soil
- 3Small pots
- 1Pack of seeds
- 1Cup of Water
- 1Fill the three pots with an equal amount of soil.
- 2Make a hole in the center of the soil.
- 3In the first pot, add 3 seeds into the hole.
- 4In the second pot, add 20 seeds into the hole.
- 5In the third pot, add 100 seeds into the hole.
- 6Lightly cover the seeds with soil.
- 7Add ½ cup of water daily to each and observe over 4 weeks.
How It Works
Living things compete for resources to survive. This also includes plants. The pot with 3 seeds grew the best because there was less competition for resources, like water and light. That is also why the pot with 100 seeds grew the worst.