Oops! It looks like your security settings are blocking this video 🙁
If you are on a school computer or network, ask your tech person to whitelist these URLs:
*.wistia.com, fast.wistia.com, fast.wistia.net, embedwistia-a.akamaihd.net
Sometimes a simple refresh solves this issue. If you need further help, contact us.
Magnets & Static Electricity Activity for Kids
- 1Cotton towel
- 1Plastic produce bag (must be very thin)
- 1Cut a strip from the open end of the plastic bag.
- 2Inflate and tie the balloon.
- 3Lay the strip of plastic on the table and rub it with the towel.
- 4Separately, rub the balloon with the towel.
- 5Hold the balloon still in one hand and toss the plastic above the balloon ... it floats!
- Tip:This works best on a dry day and can be difficult on a humid day or in humid climates.
How It Works
When two different materials rub against each other, they become electrically charged - one becomes positive, and the other becomes negative. Opposite charges ATTRACT and like charges REPEL. The balloon and plastic have the same charge, which causes them to repel (move away from each other).
Find More More Activities
Browse All Watch Full Lessons
Choose Your Free Trial Period
Get 90 Days Free
By inviting 4 other teachers to try it too.
Skip, I will use a 7 days free trial
Enjoy your free 90 days trial