It was processed successfully!
Oops! It looks like your security settings are blocking this video 🙁
If you are on a school computer or network, ask your tech person to whitelist these URLs:
*.wisita.com, fast.wistia.com, fast.wistia.net, embedwistia-a.akamaihd.net
Sometimes a simple refresh solves this issue. If you need further help, contact us.
Atoms & Molecules Activity for Kids
Extracting Iron From Cereal DIY
- Duration: 30-45 min
- Difficulty: Easy
- Cost: $0 to $10
Use a magnet to extract iron from cereal!
- 1Box of Total Cereal
- 1Strong Ziploc Bag
- 1Cup of Warm Water
- 1Strong Neodymium Magnet
- 1Pour Total cereal into the bag until it is almost full.
- 2Zip the bag and crush the cereal with your hands.
- 3Fill the bag halfway with warm water, close it and mix it for 10 seconds.
- 4Let the bag sit for 1 hour to soak.
- 5Mix the bag again for 1 min while mushing the cereal.
- 6Place the magnet under the bag and swirl the bag to collect the iron.
How It Works
Our bodies need elements that are naturally found in the foods we eat, but sometimes we need to supplement our diets with extra elements. One of the elements our body needs is iron. Iron is commonly found in beans, spinach and in cereals such as Total. We need iron to help us absorb oxygen into our blood.