Oops! It looks like your security settings are blocking this video 🙁
If you are on a school computer or network, ask your tech person to whitelist these URLs:
*.wistia.com, fast.wistia.com, fast.wistia.net, embedwistia-a.akamaihd.net
Sometimes a simple refresh solves this issue. If you need further help, contact us.
Animals Need Food Activity for Kids
- 1Bag of bird seed
- 1Plastic spoon
- 1Bottle of honey
- 1Plastic container
- 1Toilet paper tube
- 1Pair of scissors
- 1Piece of string (2 ft)
- 1Pour bird seed into a container.
- 2Put some honey onto the outside of a toilet paper tube.
- 3Use the spoon to thinly coat the entire surface of the tube.
- 4Roll the tube in the bird seed so that it gets covered in seeds.
- 5Cut a piece of string about as long as your arm.
- 6Insert the string into the tube and tie it in a loop.
- 7Hang the bird feeder on a tree outside and watch the birds eat the seeds.
How It Works
Just like all animals, birds need food. When they smell and see the seeds, they will fly over and pull some off. If you place the tube by a tree near a window, you can watch them without scaring them. Birds have a harder time finding seeds in the winter months, especially if there is snow. Bird feeders can help birds get the food they need during this time.