It was processed successfully!
Oops! It looks like your security settings are blocking this video 🙁
If you are on a school computer or network, ask your tech person to whitelist these URLs:
*.wisita.com, fast.wistia.com, fast.wistia.net, embedwistia-a.akamaihd.net
Sometimes a simple refresh solves this issue. If you need further help, contact us.
What Is Science? Activity for Kids
Egg Drop Challenge DIY
- Duration: 30-60 min
- Difficulty: Easy
- Cost: $0 to $5
Design, build, and test an egg protection device. Conduct an experiment testing your designs!
- 5Uncooked eggs
- 1Handful of straws
- 1Roll of tape
- 1Pair of scissors
- 1Large painter’s tarp
- 1Bin of balloons, styrofoam, and other protection materials optional
- 1Make a triangle out of a straw and tape it together.
- 2Repeat this two more times.
- 3Tape all 3 triangles together around the egg to make a pyramid shape.
- 4Decide how else to cushion the egg - for example: using more straws
- 5Spread the painter’s tarp on the floor.
- 6Hold your egg high above your head and drop it on the painter’s tarp.
- 7Did it work? If not try a different design.
- 8Be creative, test your own designs and materials (styrofoam, balloons, etc)
How It Works
Science and engineering are all about testing, revising, and trying again. The design gets better and better each time. Engineers and scientists do this process for many things, like designing cars to protect people in a crash.