Oops! It looks like your security settings are blocking this video 🙁
If you are on a school computer or network, ask your tech person to whitelist these URLs:
*.wistia.com, fast.wistia.com, fast.wistia.net, embedwistia-a.akamaihd.net
Sometimes a simple refresh solves this issue. If you need further help, contact us.
What is Engineering? Activity for Kids
- 1Bag of gummy bears
- 1Hard cover book
- 1Start by building a cube by connecting the toothpicks to the gummy bears.
- 2Once your cube is made, test your structure by placing the book on top.
- 3If your cube is not successful, try building another shape, such as a pyramid.
- 4Build 3 pyramids out of the toothpicks and gummy bears.
- 5Try spreading them out and placing the book on top.
- 5Continue to adjust your structures as needed until they can support the book.
- Warning:Be careful not to poke yourself with the toothpicks.
How It Works
Some shapes have more strength than others. Triangles give more support than squares when building structures. Triangles are used a lot in construction of things like bridges. An engineer can test many different solutions and each time they redesign it, the solution can get better.
Find More More Activities
Browse All Watch Full Lessons
Choose Your Free Trial Period
Get 90 Days Free
By inviting 4 other teachers to try it too.
Skip, I will use a 7 days free trial
Enjoy your free 90 days trial