Oops! It looks like your security settings are blocking this video 🙁
If you are on a school computer or network, ask your tech person to whitelist these URLs:
*.wistia.com, fast.wistia.com, fast.wistia.net, embedwistia-a.akamaihd.net
Sometimes a simple refresh solves this issue. If you need further help, contact us.
What is Engineering? Activity for Kids
- 1Bag of gummy bears
- 1Hard cover book
- 1Start by building a cube by connecting the toothpicks to the gummy bears.
- 2Once your cube is made, test your structure by placing the book on top.
- 3If your cube is not successful, try building another shape, such as a pyramid.
- 4Build 3 pyramids out of the toothpicks and gummy bears.
- 5Try spreading them out and placing the book on top.
- 5Continue to adjust your structures as needed until they can support the book.
- Warning:Be careful not to poke yourself with the toothpicks.
How It Works
Some shapes have more strength than others. Triangles give more support than squares when building structures. Triangles are used a lot in construction of things like bridges. An engineer can test many different solutions and each time they redesign it, the solution can get better.