Oops! It looks like your security settings are blocking this video 🙁
If you are on a school computer or network, ask your tech person to whitelist these URLs:
*.wistia.com, fast.wistia.com, fast.wistia.net, embedwistia-a.akamaihd.net
Sometimes a simple refresh solves this issue. If you need further help, contact us.
Sunlight Warms the Earth Activity for Kids
- 2Plastic containers or ice cube trays
- 2Small plastic toys
- 1Cardboard box
- 2Paper plates
- 1Fill up two containers with equal amounts of water.
- 2Place a small plastic toy in each container.
- 3Ask an adult to help you freeze the container overnight.
- 4Place the frozen blocks on paper plates.
- 5Place one plate in the sun, and another inside the shade of a cardboard box.
- 6Observe for a few hours.
How It Works
Sunlight warms the blocks of ice which results in the ice melting. Melting is when something turns from a solid to a liquid. The blocks of ice that were shaded from the sun melted more slowly than the block of ice that was in direct sunlight. This is because sunlight warms things up.
Find More More Activities
Browse All Watch Full Lessons
Choose Your Free Trial Period
Get 90 Days Free
By inviting 4 other teachers to try it too.
Skip, I will use a 7 days free trial
Enjoy your free 90 days trial