Oops! It looks like your security settings are blocking this video 🙁
If you are on a school computer or network, ask your tech person to whitelist these URLs:
*.wistia.com, fast.wistia.com, fast.wistia.net, embedwistia-a.akamaihd.net
Sometimes a simple refresh solves this issue. If you need further help, contact us.
Sunlight Warms the Earth Activity for Kids
- 2Plastic containers or ice cube trays
- 2Small plastic toys
- 1Cardboard box
- 2Paper plates
- 1Fill up two containers with equal amounts of water.
- 2Place a small plastic toy in each container.
- 3Ask an adult to help you freeze the container overnight.
- 4Place the frozen blocks on paper plates.
- 5Place one plate in the sun, and another inside the shade of a cardboard box.
- 6Observe for a few hours.
How It Works
Sunlight warms the blocks of ice which results in the ice melting. Melting is when something turns from a solid to a liquid. The blocks of ice that were shaded from the sun melted more slowly than the block of ice that was in direct sunlight. This is because sunlight warms things up.