Oops! It looks like your security settings are blocking this video 🙁
If you are on a school computer or network, ask your tech person to whitelist these URLs:
*.wistia.com, fast.wistia.com, fast.wistia.net, embedwistia-a.akamaihd.net
Sometimes a simple refresh solves this issue. If you need further help, contact us.
Pollination and Seed Dispersal Activity for Kids
- 1Paper clip
- 1Fold the paper in half both ways
- 2With the help of an adult cut out one rectangle.
- 3Next sketch a thick letter T onto the paper and cut out the T.
- 4Snip the middle of T at the top.
- 5Fold the right side in one direction and the left side in the other direction.
- 6Raise those flaps up gently so it looks like a helicopter.
- 7Fold the bottom part of the T up about 1 centimeter and attach the paper clip.
- 8Carefully drop it from a high place and watch it twirl.
How It Works
The weight of the paper clip pulls the maple seed model down toward the ground due to gravity. Due to its shape, the moving air pushes up on the blades and causes it to spin around. This is similar to the shape of helicopter blades. Maple seeds glide down slowly and can be carried by wind to land far from the tree it grew on.