Oops! It looks like your security settings are blocking this video 🙁
If you are on a school computer or network, ask your tech person to whitelist these URLs:
*.wistia.com, fast.wistia.com, fast.wistia.net, embedwistia-a.akamaihd.net
Sometimes a simple refresh solves this issue. If you need further help, contact us.
Particle Nature of Matter Activity for Kids
- 3Film canisters or similar plastic containers with snap on lids
- 3Fizzy tablets (such as Alka-Seltzer®)
- 1Cup of water
- 1Roll of paper towels (for cleanup)
- 1Fill the film canisters about 1/3 full with water.
- 2Quickly, drop 1 fizzy tablet into each canister, snap on the lid, and flip it over.
- 3Stand back and wait for it to pop!
How It Works
When the fizzy tablet touches the water a chemical reaction starts, which releases carbon dioxide gas. The gas is made of lots of particles of matter, which spread out inside the sealed container. Finally, the container pops up off of its lid and shoots into the air due to the pressure that the particles built up inside.
Find More More Activities
Browse All Watch Full Lessons
Choose Your Free Trial Period
Get 90 Days Free
By inviting 4 other teachers to try it too.
Skip, I will use a 7 days free trial
Enjoy your free 90 days trial