If you are on a school computer or network, ask your tech person to whitelist these URLs:
*.wistia.com, fast.wistia.com, fast.wistia.net, embedwistia-a.akamaihd.net
Sometimes a simple refresh solves this issue. If you need further help, contact us.
Water Cycle (6-8 Version) Activity for Kids
- 12-liter Plastic Bottle
- 1Bottle of Rubbing Alcohol
- 1Pump with an Inflating Needle
- 1Pair of Safety Glasses
- 1Carefully push the inflating needle through the cork (adult help may be needed).
- 2Pour a little bit of rubbing alcohol into the bottle and swirl it so that the liquid coats the entire inside. Rubbing alcohol is flammable, so make sure to keep it away from any flames.
- 3Insert the cork into the bottle and give it several pumps. The more pumps you add the better it will work.
- 4As quickly as you can, remove the cork and watch the cloud form!
How It Works
We used rubbing alcohol because it evaporates faster than water and creates a more visible cloud. Pumping air into the bottle squeezes the molecules of gas closer together. When you pull out the cork, the gas expands and cools down, making the vapor condense into tiny liquid droplets, just like a cloud! The process of gas turning into a liquid is called condensation.
Find More More Activities
Browse All Watch Full Lessons
no credit card required
Skip, I will use a 3 day free trial
Enjoy your free 30 days trial