Oops! It looks like your security settings are blocking this video 🙁
If you are on a school computer or network, ask your tech person to whitelist these URLs:
*.wistia.com, fast.wistia.com, fast.wistia.net, embedwistia-a.akamaihd.net
Sometimes a simple refresh solves this issue. If you need further help, contact us.
Introduction to Weather Activity for Kids
- 1Cup of sand or pebbles
- 1Permanent marker
- 1Empty 2-liter bottle
- 1Pair of scissors
- 4Paper clips
- 1Rain journal
- 1Have an adult help you cut the top off an empty soda bottle.
- 2Fill up the bottom part of the bottle with pebbles or sand.
- 3Use a ruler to mark the bottle every inch or centimeter with a black mark.
- 4Put the top part of the bottle that was cut off upside down over the opening.
- 5Use four paper clips to hold it together.
- 6Put your finished rain gauge outside to collect rain.
- 7Record the amounts of rain in a rain journal.
How It Works
When it rains, the rain will fall into the rain gauge. The markings on the side can help you see how much rain falls on certain days or in certain months. Rainfall amounts from previous years are just one of the things weather scientists use to help predict the weather by looking at patterns.