Oops! It looks like your security settings are blocking this video 🙁
If you are on a school computer or network, ask your tech person to whitelist these URLs:
*.wistia.com, fast.wistia.com, fast.wistia.net, embedwistia-a.akamaihd.net
Sometimes a simple refresh solves this issue. If you need further help, contact us.
Introduction to Sound Activity for Kids
- 1Large glass bowl
- 1Piece of clear plastic wrap
- 1Large rubber band
- 1Handful of candy sprinkles (salt or rice may also be used)
- 1Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, keeping the plastic wrap stretched very tight.
- 2Use the rubber band to hold the plastic wrap in place.
- 3Place the bowl very close to a speaker.
- 4Place a handful of candy sprinkles on the plastic wrap.
- 5Play some loud music through your speaker and observe.
- Tips:If it is not working, make sure the plastic wrap is very tight, that the speaker is very loud and that the bowl is very close to it. You can also try different songs.
How It Works
The speaker creates sound and sound causes things to vibrate. Since the bowl is so close to the speaker, the vibrations in the air make the plastic wrap on the bowl vibrate. This causes the candy sprinkles to bounce around on the plastic wrap.