Oops! It looks like your security settings are blocking this video 🙁
If you are on a school computer or network, ask your tech person to whitelist these URLs:
*.wistia.com, fast.wistia.com, fast.wistia.net, embedwistia-a.akamaihd.net
Sometimes a simple refresh solves this issue. If you need further help, contact us.
Inspired by Nature (Biomimicry) Activity for Kids
- 1Old pair of canvas shoes (adults permission required)
- 1Pitcher of water
- 1Large plastic tub
- 1Rub the candle back and forth all over the surface of one shoe.
- 2Have an adult help you use a hairdryer to melt the candle wax into the shoe.
- 3For best results repeat this process one or two more times.
- 4Hold the treated shoe over a shallow container and pour water gently on it.
- 5Next take the untreated shoe and pour water on it to see the difference.
How It Works
The treated shoe has a special coating of wax that protects the shoe from getting wet. This is similar to the nasturtium plant in the video or the feathers on a duck. When you poured water on the treated shoe, the water just slid off. The untreated shoe got wet when you poured water on it. Being inspired by nature to solve a problem is called biomimicry.