Oops! It looks like your security settings are blocking this video 🙁
If you are on a school computer or network, ask your tech person to whitelist these URLs:
*.wistia.com, fast.wistia.com, fast.wistia.net, embedwistia-a.akamaihd.net
Sometimes a simple refresh solves this issue. If you need further help, contact us.
Inspired by Nature (Biomimicry) Activity for Kids
- 1Old pair of canvas shoes (adults permission required)
- 1Pitcher of water
- 1Large plastic tub
- 1Rub the candle back and forth all over the surface of one shoe.
- 2Have an adult help you use a hairdryer to melt the candle wax into the shoe.
- 3For best results repeat this process one or two more times.
- 4Hold the treated shoe over a shallow container and pour water gently on it.
- 5Next take the untreated shoe and pour water on it to see the difference.
How It Works
The treated shoe has a special coating of wax that protects the shoe from getting wet. This is similar to the nasturtium plant in the video or the feathers on a duck. When you poured water on the treated shoe, the water just slid off. The untreated shoe got wet when you poured water on it. Being inspired by nature to solve a problem is called biomimicry.
Find More More Activities
Browse All Watch Full Lessons
Choose Your Free Trial Period
Choose your free trial period
no credit card required
Get 30 Days Free
By inviting 4 other teachers to try it too.
Skip, I will use a 3 day free trial
Enjoy your free 30 days trial