If you are on a school computer or network, ask your tech person to whitelist these URLs:
*.wistia.com, fast.wistia.com, fast.wistia.net, embedwistia-a.akamaihd.net
Sometimes a simple refresh solves this issue. If you need further help, contact us.
Synthetic Materials Activity for Kids
- 2Tablespoons calcium chloride
- 0.5Teaspoons of sodium alginate
- 1Bowl with 1 cup of water
- 1Plastic bottle with 1 cup of water
- 1Food coloring
- 1Stirring utensil
- 1Pair of safety glasses
- 1Pair of gloves
- 1Add 2 tablespoons of calcium chloride to the bowl of water and mix it.
- 2Into the bottle, add a few drops of food coloring and a half teaspoon of sodium alginate.
- 3Cap the bottle immediately and shake it for 30 seconds. It can take some time to dissolve.
- 4Pour the liquid in the bottle, into the bowl (try to make one continuous stream of liquid).
- 5Wait 10 seconds and pull out the new substance.
How It Works
The chemical reaction between two natural resources (calcium chloride and sodium alginate) forms a synthetic material. Sodium alginate comes from algae and calcium chloride comes from rocks. The gel-like substance is formed because the sodium alginate reacts with the calcium chloride, to form calcium alginate. Fun fact: this synthetic material is used by doctors to help wounds heal faster.
Watch Full Lessons
no credit card required
Skip, I will use a 3 day free trial
Enjoy your free 30 days trial