Oops! It looks like your security settings are blocking this video 🙁
If you are on a school computer or network, ask your tech person to whitelist these URLs:
*.wistia.com, fast.wistia.com, fast.wistia.net, embedwistia-a.akamaihd.net
Sometimes a simple refresh solves this issue. If you need further help, contact us.
Extreme Weather Solutions Activity for Kids
- 1Styrofoam cooler
- 4Frozen water bottles
- 1Plastic 90-degree tube
- 1Small household fan
- 1Serrated steak knife (Adult use only!)
- 1Roll of tape and streamers (optional)
- 1Place the angled tube on top of the cooler lid and trace it with a marker.
- 2Then place the fan face down on the cooler lid and trace it as well.
- 3Ask an adult to carefully cut out the circles you just traced.
- 5Place all the frozen water bottles in the cooler and put on the lid.
- 6Insert the 90-degree tube into its hole.
- 7Lay the fan on top of the hole you cut for it, facing inside the cooler.
- 8Tape short streamers around the edge of the tube opening (optional).
- 9Plug in the fan. You should feel cool air coming out through the tube!
- Note:Exact instructions may vary based on the size of your cooler, fan, and tube.
How It Works
Air that is blown into the cooler by the fan is cooled by the ice inside the cooler. That air is then forced upward and out through the tube as more air is pushed inside by the fan. The air that is blown out through the tube is cooler than the air that the fan blows inside.