It was processed successfully!
Oops! It looks like your security settings are blocking this video 🙁
If you are on a school computer or network, ask your tech person to whitelist these URLs:
*.wisita.com, fast.wistia.com, fast.wistia.net, embedwistia-a.akamaihd.net
Sometimes a simple refresh solves this issue. If you need further help, contact us.
Communication Over Distances Activity for Kids
String Telephone DIY
- Duration: 20 min
- Difficulty: Easy
- Cost: $0 to $5
Create a telephone using cups and a string!
- 2Paper cups
- 1Piece of string
- 2Paper clips
- 1Sharp pencil
- 1Pair of scissors
- 1Roll out about 1.5 meters of string and cut it.
- 2With an adult’s help, poke a small hole in the center of each cup.
- 3Thread the string through one cup and tie it to a paper clip inside the cup.
- 4Repeat this process with the other end of string and the second cup.
- 5Pull the string tight between the two cups.
- 6One person holds one cup to their ear, while the other talks softly into the cup.
How It Works
The string telephone helps people communicate over distances with sound. When one person talks into the cup, the sound from their voice vibrates down the string. The partner can then hear the message loud and clear in their cup.