Oops! It looks like your security settings are blocking this video 🙁
If you are on a school computer or network, ask your tech person to whitelist these URLs:
*.wistia.com, fast.wistia.com, fast.wistia.net, embedwistia-a.akamaihd.net
Sometimes a simple refresh solves this issue. If you need further help, contact us.
Classification of Materials Activity for Kids
- 1A variety of random objects from the classroom or home.
- 1Collect a variety of objects from around the classroom.
- 2Partner 1 decides on a specific property but does not tell the other partner.
- 3Partner 1 sorts objects while keeping the secret property in mind.
- 4Partner 2 tries to guess which property Partner 1 was sorting by.
- 5Partners switch roles.
- 6Repeat the steps as many times as you want.
How It Works
You are putting together items that have the same property, just like a scientist. Scientists sort materials in a variety of ways, depending on what their purpose is. For example, if a scientist wants to use a material to work as a magnet in an experiment, they must first sort materials by magnetic vs. non-magnetic to narrow down their options.
Find More More Activities
Browse All Watch Full Lessons
Choose Your Free Trial Period
Get 90 Days Free
By inviting 4 other teachers to try it too.
Skip, I will use a 7 days free trial
Enjoy your free 90 days trial