Oops! It looks like your security settings are blocking this video 🙁
If you are on a school computer or network, ask your tech person to whitelist these URLs:
*.wistia.com, fast.wistia.com, fast.wistia.net, embedwistia-a.akamaihd.net
Sometimes a simple refresh solves this issue. If you need further help, contact us.
Biotechnology Activity for Kids
- 1Vial of PTC paper (can be found online for a few dollars)
- 1Small Bowl of Brussel Sprouts
- 1Taste a strip of PTC paper. Does it taste bitter or do you taste nothing at all? Write down your observations.
- 2Ask some friends or family to do the same and see if they taste bitterness or nothing.
- 3Go through the same process with tasting the Brussel sprouts. Are the results similar or different?
How It Works
PTC paper contains a chemical that tastes bitter to some people, while others can’t taste it at all. A very similar chemical is responsible for making Brussel sprouts taste bitter to some people. As we learned earlier in the lesson, biotechnology is when we use our knowledge of biological processes to solve problems. Currently, scientists are trying to use biotechnology to remove bitter chemicals from Brussel sprouts, so over time, biotechnology might make Brussel sprouts your next favorite vegetable!
Find More More Activities
Browse All Watch Full Lessons
Choose Your Free Trial Period
Get 90 Days Free
By inviting 4 other teachers to try it too.
Skip, I will use a 7 days free trial
Enjoy your free 90 days trial