It was processed successfully!
Oops! It looks like your security settings are blocking this video 🙁
If you are on a school computer or network, ask your tech person to whitelist these URLs:
*.wisita.com, fast.wistia.com, fast.wistia.net, embedwistia-a.akamaihd.net
Sometimes a simple refresh solves this issue. If you need further help, contact us.
Biodiversity of Life on Earth Activity for Kids
Biodiversity Study DIY
- Duration: 30-45 min
- Difficulty: Easy
- Cost: $0 to $5
See how many different kinds of plants and animals live in an area!
- 2Pieces of paper
- 1Pack of colored pencils optional
- 1Choose an area outside to survey, like a garden, nature preserve or backyard.
- 2Take a clipboard with paper to the area and look for different plants and animals.
- 3Make a list or draw the different plants and animals you can find.
- 4Keep a tally to show how many of each you find.
(Ask an adult to help keep you away from any hazards such as poison ivy.)
How It Works
The variety of animals and plants in an area is called biodiversity. The larger the variety, the more diverse it is. Scientists survey small areas to check the health of the larger environment. Areas that have pollution often have less biodiversity. After a cleanup effort, more plants and animals can live there, which increases the biodiversity.