If you are on a school computer or network, ask your tech person to whitelist these URLs:
*.wistia.com, fast.wistia.com, fast.wistia.net, embedwistia-a.akamaihd.net
Sometimes a simple refresh solves this issue. If you need further help, contact us.
Animal & Plant Life Cycles Activity for Kids
- 1Ripe avocado
- 1Cutting board
- 1Knife (adult use only!)
- 1Bowl of water
- 1Clear plastic cup of water
- 1Ask an adult to cut open the avocado and remove the seed.
- 2Wash the seed in the bowl of water.
- 3Peel away and discard the thin brown skin around the seed.
- 4Hold the seed so that the pointier end is up.
- 5Push 3 evenly spaced toothpicks into the seed (not on the fault lines).
- 6Carefully place the seed into the cup by resting the toothpicks on the lip.
- 7Pour water into the cup until the seed is halfway covered.
- 8Place the cup with the seed in a warm place in direct sunlight.
- 9Wait for the avocado seed to sprout, which will take 4-8 weeks.
- 9Change the water once per week.
How It Works
An avocado starts its life cycle as a seed. When planted, the seed germinates (starts to grow) in about 4-8 weeks. The seed splits along the fault line, allowing a root to grow down and a sprout to grow up. As the sprout grows leaves, it becomes a seedling, and then continues to grow into an avocado plant. Eventually, the avocado plant produces flowers, and finally fruit after 4-5 years. Inside each avocado fruit is another seed—ready to start its own life cycle.
Find More More Activities
Browse All Watch Full Lessons
no credit card required
Skip, I will use a 3 day free trial
Enjoy your free 30 days trial