If you are on a school computer or network, ask your tech person to whitelist these URLs:
*.wistia.com, fast.wistia.com, fast.wistia.net, embedwistia-a.akamaihd.net
Sometimes a simple refresh solves this issue. If you need further help, contact us.
Parts of a Plant Activity for Kids
- 2Stalks of celery with leaves attached
- 2Tubes of food coloring (different colors)
- 2Clear glass cups
- 1Pair of scissors (adults only)
- 1Large container of water
- 1Spoon for stirring
- 1Fill each glass cup halfway with water.
- 2Add 20 drops of food coloring to each.
- 3Stir the water and food coloring.
- 4Have an adult snip off the end of each stalk of celery.
- 5Place each celery stalk into the cups.
- 6Make observations over a few days.
How It Works
The stem of a plant is strong and sturdy to help the plant stand up straight. It also lets water and other nutrients flow up it. The stem in this activity acts like someone sucking on a straw to drink colored water. Once the colored water gets to the leaves the food coloring builds up there and we can see the color of the leaves change because of the food coloring. The process is slow, but after a few days, the leaves are colorful!
Watch Full Lessons
no credit card required
Skip, I will use a 3 day free trial
Enjoy your free 30 days trial